Homemade lasagna tastes so much better than store bought. You can make one of these ahead of time and heat when you are ready to eat. This recipe is by Lee Ann Russell. Springfield, Mo.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 pound canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pound cottage cheese
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 10 ounces lasagna noodles
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet with oil, onion, and garlic, cooking slowly.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, seasonings, sugar, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg and blend in cottage cheese.
- In a greased 2-quart casserole layer 1/2 of the meat sauce, 3 noodles, 1/2 cottage cheese, 1/2 mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.