Luby’s Skillet Cabbage is some of the best southern smothered cabbage. Cabbage is cooked perfectly tender with bacon, and some fresh tomatoes to make the perfect keto-friendly side dish.
So often I think cabbage is the forgotten vegetable. It is inexpensive and can be bitter if not cooked right. It isn’t hard to cook cabbage. I want you to show you how you can prepare cooked cabbage that people will ask you for your cabbage skillet recipe.
Luby’s is known for its great-tasting side dishes, and this skillet cabbage is no exception. So the next time there is a big sale on cabbage be sure to pick up a few extra heads of cabbage and enjoy this dish.
Why is this dish called skillet cabbage?
This cabbage side dish is often made in a cast-iron skillet.
Ingredients for Luby’s Skillet Cabbage
Here is what you need to make skillet cabbage:
- Green cabbage
- Salt and Pepper
How to pick the perfect cabbage
When choosing your head of cabbage, be sure to pick a compact head that feels heavy for its size. The leaves should be tightly wound around. Pick one that looks crisp and fresh, with a few loose leaves. If the head of cabbage has a lot of loose leaves, it is old. Pass on any heads of cabbage that feel limp. Store your whole head of cabbage in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator.
How to Make Skillet Cabbage
Chop cabbage and bacon. Place in a pot.
Add water and bring to a boil.
Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Stir in butter before serving.
Love Luby’s? Check out these copycat Recipes
- White Fish
- Sweet Grits for Breakfast
- Luby’s Chopped Steak Recipe
- Mexican Jalapeno Cornbread
- Shredded Carrot Raisin Salad
- Mixed Squash Casserole
- Spanish Corn Casserole
- Cafeteria Style Mac and Cheese
- Hawaiian Pie Recipe
- Coconut Cream Pie with Meringue Recipe
Popular Cabbage Recipes
Luby’s Skillet Cabbage
- 1 large green cabbage
- 6 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Remove the cabbage core and discard the core.
- Slice the cabbage into 1 to 2-inch pieces; you should have approximately 12 cups.
- In a very large skillet saute bacon over medium heat until it has cooked half way. Do not drain the grease.
- Add cabbage to the skillet, and add 1 1/2 cups of water to the skillet.
- Place a lid over the pot. It may not fit all of the way, that's ok. the cabbage will cook down.
- After 10 minutes add the chopped tomato, pepper, and salt. Reduced the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.