McDonald’s Breakfast Burrito used to be a heavy-duty burrito that would fill you up until lunch. You can recreate this classic McDonalds Sausage Breakfast Burrito at home.
McDonald’s regularly changes its menu, things come and go all of the time. Sometimes recipes get changed. This is an example of their old breakfast burrito, it was heartier, and would definitely keep you full until lunchtime.
I can remember the days when they actually cooked from scratch in their restaurants, and that wasn’t very recently either. You can make this classic burrito at home.
This breakfast burrito is made with mild pork sausage, eggs, American cheese, canned green chilies, onions, fresh tomatoes, and taco sauce. I love to make a bunch of these on the weekend, so during the week I can simply reheat them and be on my way.
You can reheat your breakfast in far less time than it takes a trip through the drive-thru. It can also be a great way to save money. If you wanted to substitute out the pork sausage for a turkey sausage you have that option when you recreate your favorite copycat recipes at home.
For this recipe, don’t be frightened by the American cheese. I know it has a bad reputation. American cheese at times is the perfect cheese to use because it melts perfectly. You may want to go to the deli of your local grocery store and have them slice up some cheese for you so you can have it for this recipe.
When I make mine to reheat, I cook up all of the ingredients, and I let them cool to fairly close to room temperature before I wrap them tightly with plastic wrap.
You can put them in the freezer at this point, or you can put them into the refrigerator, for me about 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave is all you need to heat these up for breakfast.
I hope you give this classic recipe a try soon!
Favorite McDonald’s Copycat Recipes
- McDonalds Hamburgers
- Egg White Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- How to Make a McDonald’s Big Mac at Home
- Homemade Big Mac Sauce
- Sweet Iced Tea
- McCafe Caramel Mocha
- How to Make Peppermint Mocha
Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Baked Eggs Recipe
- Best Sausage Gravy Recipe
- Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe
- Pancake Balls
- IHOP Pancake
- Cheese Blintzes Recipe
Copycat McDonalds Breakfast Burrito
- 1 pound pork sausage mild
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon green chilies (diced those in a can)
- 10 - tortillas
- 9 eggs
- 6 ounces American cheese 12 slices
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Crumble and fry pork sausage, stir and separate meat so it will fry in small little pieces. Remove from heat drain excess grease.
- Place drained sausage in frying pan add onion, green chilies, and tomatoes, heat on medium temperature just until sausage and vegetables are heated through, stir frequently.
- Measure 2 cups of eggs and beat. Add the eggs to the pan with the sausage mixture. When cooked remove from heat.
- Place two tablespoons of the sausage and egg mixture onto 1 tortilla, tear each slice of American cheese into two even portions, then place the cheese on top of the sausage mixture, and roll the tortilla.
- If you make these all ahead of time, you can wrap in plastic to store them in the refrigerator or freezer, and then heat them up in the microwave for a moment or two.
- Serve with your favorite taco or Picante sauce. You will find these are milder and really great for breakfast. I also like to serve sour cream and avocado with mine.