Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken is a great substitute for Chinese Takeout. This recipe combines the flavor that has everyone excited, but since you make this recipe at home, you can save money. Since this recipe isn’t deep fried you save the calories that normally comes with this dish, but you don’t sacrifice any of the flavors.
Do you ever want to enjoy your favorite take-out recipes? You can make a flavorful Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken at home. It is easier than you think to make this classic American Chinese dish. When you baked sweet and sour chicken you can use whatever cut of chicken you have on hand.
For this recipe, I used chicken breast, but you could use boneless skinless thighs, or you could even use chicken wings for this recipe.
How to make baked sweet and sour chicken?
In this chicken preparation, chicken is cut into the pieces that you desire. The chicken is coated with flour and then sauteed until the chicken just begins to turn brown. The chicken finishes cooking in the oven.
While you are cooking up the chicken you will make the sweet and sour sauce, and when the sauce is ready, you will pour it over the chicken, and bake the sweet and sour chicken.
A Sweet and Sour Sauce with no artificial colors!
So often sweet and sour sauce is made with artificial color to get it to the beautiful shade of red we have come to know sweet and sour sauce to have. This recipe is made with pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, ginger and more. You will be amazed as how good this sweet and sour sauce tastes.
You are going to love this easy baked sweet and sour chicken! Chicken prepared like this isn’t deep fried, and the sauce has no artificial colors or flavors.
Learn more about the history of Sweet and Sour Chicken!
Love Chinese take-out? Enjoy these take-out inspired recipes.
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 5 pounds chicken cut up into pieces
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 13.5 ounces Pineapple Chunks
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 3/4 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 chicken Bouillon Cube
- 1 Green Pepper cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash chicken dry, and coat with flour. Heat oil and brown the chicken in a skillet. Do not cook the chicken all of the way. Do not cook the chicken all of the way through.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Drain pineapple and add enough water to the drained liquid to make 1 1/4 cups.
- Mix sauce ingredients and boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour sweet and sour sauce over the chicken. Add pineapple and green pepper.
- Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees.