Create Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice recipe in your own home with this delicious copycat recipe. If you close your eyes you will think you’re eating one of Chipotle’s rice bowls. This recipe is so easy to make and pairs perfectly with my copycat Chipotle carnitas.
Why This Recipe Works
Chipotle is known for making everything fresh. Every time you go in there, they are busy preparing their signature dishes. Their rice is honestly one of our favorite parts of their menu. After all, it’s seasoned perfectly with cilantro and lime juice.
I love this as a side dish, by itself or as one of their delicious Chipotle’s rice bowls. If you enjoy rice, don’t miss this savory version.
You can make rice just like the Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurants with our copycat recipe. Scroll down to see my video on how easy this recipe is to make.
Here’s a list of what you’ll need to make it:
- Vegetable Oil
- White Basmati Rice
- Lime juice
If you don’t like cilantro…
You can just leave it out of the recipe. I know cilantro can be a tricky ingredient for some. Even Chipotle understands not everyone likes cilantro.
Chipotle actually has plain rice they serve for anyone who doesn’t enjoy it. So it’s perfectly ok if you leave it out of this recipe and just enjoy the lime flavor.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
- Using a 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil on low heat.
- Add the rice and lime juice and stir for 1 minute.
- Then you will put in the water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn down the heat to low.
- Simmer until the rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the cilantro (optional).
- Enjoy with your favorite meal or another copycat Chipotle recipe.
Do I have to use Basmati Rice?
The simple answer is no. But Basmati Rice is long grain rice and works perfectly in this recipe.
If you prefer to use brown rice, you can certainly do so. Just follow the instructions for making the brown rice. Brown rice typically takes longer to cook, so just make sure you follow the instructions.
Love Chipotle? Make more copycat recipes at home.
Favorite Rice Dishes
Popular Mexican Recipes
Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup white basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil or butter over low heat. If using butter, stir it occasionally until melted. Add the rice and lime juice and stir for 1 minute. Add the water and salt. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down the heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed about 25 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the cilantro.