The Taco Bell Crunchwrap is a fantastic Taco Bell Menu item. It combined a tostada and a burrito all in one. You can make this at home and it isn’t hard to do at all.
I love the creative nature of Taco Bell. In fact, years ago when I was getting my MBA, I wrote about them and how they do a fantastic job of reinventing a few core ingredients into new menu items such as their crunchwraps.
This recipe is for the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme.
Here we have their seasoned beef, cheese, sauce, lettuce, sour cream, and beans (if you desire), and a crispy corn shell inside of a toasted tortilla. It’s not that complicated to make.
Taco Bell is Named After its Founder
His name was Glen Bell, and the story begins with his hot dog stand named Bell’s Drive-In, which he opened in San Bernardino, California in 1946 at the age of twenty-three.
Four years after this, he progressed to a hamburger stand – Bell’s Hamburgers and Hot Dogs situated in a Latino neighborhood. He couldn’t help but be impressed by the long lines across the street outside a Mexican restaurant – people were waiting in line for the restaurant’s hard-shelled tacos.
Bell dined there frequently, and the owners showed him how the tacos were made. By early 1952, he knew enough about making tacos to open a taco stand of his own, which he named Taco-Tia.
The Success of Taco Bell
Bell eventually owned several taco stands, and in 1962 he sold them all and opened the very first Taco Bell in Downey, California.
In the space of two years, he sold his very first franchise, and by 1967 one hundred Taco Bells were up and running. The rest, as the saying goes, is history – the number of Taco Bells now stands at over 7,000!
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Masa harina
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Seasoning salt
- Ground cumin
- Garlic salt
- Dried minced onion
- Beef bouillon powder
- Ground chuck beef
- Large flour tortillas
- Corn tostada or taco shells
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Taco Bell Sauce
You will need a hard-crunch corn tortilla (or you could use a leftover taco shell or two – broken in half) for the crispy inside. I buy the large burrito tortillas for the outside when I make them.
Making the Taco Bell Crunchwrap
The Taco Bell Crunchwrap is a fantastic Taco Bell menu item. It combines a tostada and a burrito all in one. And, what’s even better, you can easily make this at home. It isn’t hard to do at all.
First, you will make the seasoned taco meat mixture and, if you want, some of my homemade Taco Bell sauce.
You will assemble your wrap and toast the tortilla in a frying pan for a minute or two on each side, And, ta-da! Your very own homemade Taco Bell Crunchwrap. Delish!
How to Make a Crunchwrap
- Mix together the masa harina, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoning salt, paprika, cumin, salt, sugar, minced onion, and bouillon powder.
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet and brown, stirring well.
- Remove beef from the heat.
- Pour the meat into a strainer in the sink, rinse with hot water, and drain off the water and grease from the beef.
- Return the beef to the skillet.
- Stir in the spice mix and water.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, until most of the moisture has cooked away.
- Transfer the cooked beef to a bowl.
- Wipe or clean the skillet and place it over medium-low heat.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet and heat for about 30 seconds to make the tortilla pliable.
- Build crunchwrap by adding beef and spreading it out evenly in the center of the tortilla, add corn shells, sour cream, lettuce, cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, and sauce.
- Fold the edges of the flour tortilla up over the center mixture.
- Continue to fold until it is completely wrapped and in the shape of a hexagon.
- Cook the crunchwrap for about 60 seconds on each side, until lightly browned.
Below is a helpful video showing you how to fold your wrap just like they do at Taco Bell.
Love Taco Bell? Try these copycat favorites
Try my newest Taco Bell recipes!
Popular Mexican Food Recipes
- Cheeseburger Quesadilla
- Chicken Cheese Enchiladas
- Chili Relleno Casserole
- Chipotle Carnitas
- Mexican Cheese Dip
Taco Bell Crunch Wrap
Seasoned Beef Mixture
- 1 1/2 tablespoons masa harina
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 1/3 pounds ground chuck
Crunch Wrap Ingredients
- 6 large tortillas
- 6 corn tostada shells or broken taco shells
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Taco Bell Sauce if desired
- Beef directions: Mix together all the ingredients except the meat. Stir the spice mix well to make sure that all spices have been blended well. Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet (preferably nonstick) and brown, stirring well.
- Remove from the heat. Dump the meat into a strainer in the sink, rinse with hot water, and drain off the water and grease from the beef. Return the beef to the pan. Stir in the spice mix and 3/4 to 1 cup water. Simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, until most of the moisture has cooked away. Remove from heat before the meat is completely dry.
How to assemble
- To assemble crunchwraps Take a large skillet over low-medium heat. Place tortilla on the skillet and heat for about 30 seconds to make the tortilla pliable. Build crunchwrap by adding beef and spreading it out evenly in the center of the tortilla, add the corn shell(s), add sour cream, lettuce, cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes and sauce (if desired). Fold tortilla fold the edges of the flour tortilla up over the center mixture. Continue to fold until it is completely wrapped and in the shape of a hexagon,
- if you can’t get a hexagon during the first few efforts do not worry, as long as the insides are completely enclosed it will still taste the same. Brown for about 60 seconds on each side or until the tortilla begins to brown.